Malwarebytes and HitmanPro can detect and remove this infection, but these programs cannot recover your encrypted files due to the nature of asymmetric encryption, which requires a private key to decrypt files encrypted with the public key.
STEP 1: Remove CryptoLocker virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free uses industry-leading technology to
detect and remove all traces of malware, including worms, Trojans,
rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware, and more.
It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts.
- You can download download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the below link.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download “Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free”)
- Once downloaded, close all programs, then double-click on the icon on your desktop named “mbam-setup” to start the installation of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
You may be presented with a User Account Control dialog asking you if you want to run this file. If this happens, you should click “Yes” to continue with the installation.
- When the installation begins, you will see the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Setup Wizard which will guide you through the installation process.
To install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on your machine, keep following the prompts by clicking the “Next” button.
- Once installed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically start
and you will see a message stating that you should update the program,
and that a scan has never been run on your system. To start a system
scan you can click on the “Scan Now” button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for
the CryptoLocker virus. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is scanning it
will look like the image below.
- When the scan has completed, you will now be presented with a screen
showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has
detected. To remove the malicious programs that Malwarebytes
Anti-malware has found, click on the “Remove Seletected” button.
Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown in the image.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now quarantine all the malicious
files and registry keys that it has found. When removing the files,
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware may require a reboot in order to remove some
of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot your
computer, please allow it to do so.
After your computer will restart, you should open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and perform another “Threat Scan” scan to verify that there are no remaining threats
STEP 2: Double-check for the “CryptoLocker” malware infection with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a second opinion scanner, designed to rescue your
computer from malware (viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc.) that have
infected your computer despite all the security measures you have taken
(such as anti-virus software, firewalls, etc.). HitmanPro is designed to
work alongside existing security programs without any conflicts. It
scans the computer quickly (less than 5 minutes) and does not slow down
- You can download HitmanPro from the below link:
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download “HitmanPro”)
- Double-click on the file named “HitmanPro.exe” (for 32-bit versions of Windows) or “HitmanPro_x64.exe” (for 64-bit versions of Windows). When the program starts you will be presented with the start screen as shown below.
Click on the “Next” button, to install HitmanPro on your computer.
- HitmanPro will now begin to scan your computer for CryptoLocker malicious files.
- When it has finished it will display a list of all the malware that
the program found as shown in the image below. Click on the “Next” button, to remove CryptoLocker virus.
- Click on the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial, and remove all the malicious files from your computer.